Accessibility statement for Student Loans Company Limited
This website is run by Student Loans Company Limited (SLC) on behalf of UK Government Digital Services. It is designed to be used by as many people as possible. You should be able to:
- change colours, contrast levels and fonts
- zoom in up to 400% without the text spilling off the screen
- navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
- listen to most of the website using a screen reader (including the most recent versions of JAWS, NVDA and VoiceOver)
We’ve made the website text as simple as possible to understand.
AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
How accessible this website is
We know some parts of this website are not fully accessible:
- some older documents are in PDF format and are not fully accessible to screen reader software
- some documents in PDF format are not fully editable
- some images do not have clear and descriptive alternative text
- some widgets do not have hyperlinks or descriptive labels
- some HTML tags do not have correct language attribute
- some heading elements are not consistent
- some features of the website is not compatible with all web browsers
What to do if you cannot access parts of this website
If you need any of our letters, forms or guides sent to you in Braille or large print, email firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- your address
- your Customer Reference Number
- what you need changing into Braille or large print
- for large print, include the font size and the font type you need
If there are any other parts of our website which you cannot access, please let us know by contacting us at email@example.com.
Contacting us by phone or visiting us in person
We provide a text relay service for people who are D/deaf, hearing impaired or have a speech impediment.
Our offices have audio induction loops for those with difficulty hearing and are visiting our offices in person. Or, if you contact us before your visit, we can arrange a British Sign Language (BSL) interpreter.
Find out how to contact us at www.gov.uk/government/organisations/student-loans-company.
Technical information about this website’s accessibility
The Student Loans Company is committed to making its websites accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (‘the Accessibility Regulations’).
This website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 (‘WCAG 2.1’) AA standard, due to non-compliances within our Post Graduate and Part Time Maintenance Loan Applications, both applications are currently being addressed and SLC are committed to a deadline of November 2020 for the Part Time Maintenance Loan Application and May 2021 for the Post Graduate Loan Application. Each of these two areas have their own supplementary accessibility statement, highlighting the areas of non-compliance and outlining timescales for these issues to be fixed.
How we tested this website
The last test on this website was run in September 2020. Primarily, testing was done using the NVDA screen reader in the Chrome browser with additional checks being done using the JAWS screen reader and Firefox browser. Testing was performed to the WCAG 2.1 AA standard across desktop and mobile views including high zoom level views.
The test was carried out by our third party accessibility consultant who has been working in SLC as an accessibility expert since March 2020 in conjunction with a dedicated Customer Portal Accessibility Team. This testing was enhanced further by ongoing engagement with our Uservision consultant.
We have tested our customer account management areas, available at the following links:
- Student Finance England online account
- Student Finance Wales online account
- Student Finance Northern Ireland online account
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
We’re always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you find any problems that are not listed on this page or think we’re not meeting accessibility requirements, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (‘the Accessibility Regulations’). If you’re not happy with how the Student Loans Company respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Services (EASS), or the Equality Commission for Northern Ireland (ECNI) if you live in Northern Ireland.
What we’re doing to improve accessibility
We plan to identify and fix issues to the timescales shown for each area above.
This statement was last updated on 23 September 2020 and published on 27 September 2020.